Director of Bombardment orders study to determine suitability of white and gray scheme for use by the Anti-submarine Command, November 19,1942
The Director of Bombardment sent a memo to the CG., Anti-submarine Group, on November 19,1942, stating that extensive tests at the Air Force Proving Ground (Eglin Field) had shown that the best type of camouflage for anti-submarine aircraft was:
Ail undersurfaces and surface of airplane that was in shadow should be painted with Insignia White, No. 46, and all other surfaces Neutral Gray No. 43. A picture was enclosed showing the manner in which the two colors should be applied.
He requested that a study should be made as to the suitability of this type of camouflage for use in the Anti-submarine Command. If they had developed a more effective type of camouflage, he requested that they should forward the information as to the type of paint used and a diagram of the scheme used.
On November 23, 1942, HQ., Anti-submarine Command replied stating that extensive testing had been made on camouflage for submarine search, and a report had been submitted on August 31, 1942, to the Commmanding General, Air Forces Eastern Defense Command. The results obtained were varied, but in general the conclusions reached were generally the same as those reached by the Proving Ground. They felt, therefore, that adequate tests had been made, that the camouflage recommended by the Proving Ground be adopted without delay, and that a technical Order be expedited for the camouflage of all Anti-submarine Command aircraft.
On November 30, 1942, the Commanding Officers of the 25th and 26th Anti-submarine Wings were informed that the Dir. of Mil. Req. had issued authority to camouflage all tactical antisubmarine aircraft as follows:
Under Surfaces – Insignia White No. 4 Upper surfaces – Dark O. D. (no change)
They were also informed that a Technical Order would be published in the near future.
Cessna T-50, believed to he NC13, and an unidentified Waco cabin biplane (no NC number visible), were two of the civil fleet of CAA aircraft maintained by Delta Air Lines at Atlanta, Georgia, during the war. Note the star insignia on the fuselage of the T-50. The Waco has a winged insignia and the number “57” on the fuselage. (Delta Air Lines via Talbott)